Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Bad Dog


13.25" x 9.75"
Colored Pencil on Watercolor Paper 

For my tenth concentration, I wanted to challenge my creativity and expand my concentration. I have a very dear and strong love for my puppy, Holly. Holly is a wild dog, who has not yet, but probably would, pull a napkin off of a table. This portrayal of my dog is not realistic; however, I was able to take several different pictures and ideas and morph them into one compositionally unique piece. The dark colors of the wood are repeated within the cup and the spilling coffee. The blues, grays, and purples on the table cloth and napkin are related in Holly's fur. Although she is the darkest aspect of the piece, she does not stand out more than the cup. The cup and the spilling tea is the most dramatic aspect of the piece; therefore, it stands out as the focal point. The converging lives on the chair and the napkin point towards the cup, and the eyes of positioning of the dogs face, makes the viewer want to look at what the dog is looking at. For this piece, I had to challenge creativity and work through many problems. I began by making the lace table cloth come off the page, and eventually, I made the tablecloth short so that the dark hues could be repeated throughout tablecloth and underneath it.

No comments:

Post a Comment